[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

Hi Todd,

> >> Slides and negatives have
> >> only density
> >> ranges inherently, not dynamic ranges.
> >
> > So you claim film has no inherent noise, in and of it self,
> unless you are
> > "viewing" it?  Does the noise of music recorded on a CD not
> exist until it
> > isn't being played?
> >
> > I think you're being really obscure here...
>
> Austin
>
> I'm not taking sides here 'cause I really don't know the answer, but
> considering Anthony's premise...
>
> Won't the Dynamic Range of a piece of exposed film vary depending on the
> strength, and perhaps quality, of light shone through it?

No.  YOUR view of it yes, but not the inherent dynamic range of the film,
no.

> The
> callier effect
> comes to mind...Similarly, won't the dynamic range of an audio system be
> different at different volumes?

Yes, but we're talking about an image here, that is static.

> So, while I don't know whether these things conceptually have a DyR while
> turned off, it does seem plausible that whatever their DyR is,
> it's relative
> to how they are viewed and played.

I disagree, as it is simply an inherent property of the image/media, just
like a CD.  By "your" thought, you'd say that the image isn't on the film
unless you're viewing it.  If the image exists, it's inherent properties
exist, whether it's being viewed or not.

Austin