[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

Hi Julian R.,

> Austin - of course RMS measurement applies to dynamic range.  I think the
> fact that you say this points to where your view differs from the rest of
> the world, but I'm damned if I can work out how...

I should have simply said that I have not seen the measurements listed IN
RMS, or dynamic range equations that contain RMS as one of the conditions.
That doesn't mean using RMS measurements for the dynamic range isn't
completely valid, I've just not done it or seen it, in either the audio or
imaging field.

> Why on earth would you say "RMS doesn't apply to dynamic range."?

Because I've never seen anyone, nor have I, used RMS for dynamic range
measurements, always peak, and I've never seen a reference to dynamic range
that stated it was done in RMS.  SNR is typically stated that it's RMS, but
not dynamic range.

Austin