[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan setting for "true neg?"

Ken writes ...

> Working with B&W negatives, is there a combination of settings of BP,
> WP and Brightness - and possibly other settings - that would
> theoretically give you an image that is "unaltered" of your negative -
> similar to putting the neg in the enlarger?   ...

  I would think you'd want to begin working with Vuescan's 'raw' file ...
but a curious question is ... that is, because the raw data will be in an
inapproprite gamma=1 space ... "would you want to invert before applying an
appropriate gamma (to the positive), and then invert back?" ... or ... "is
it the same thing to apply the same appropriate gamma to the negative
data???"

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com