[filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range

> Woah, Peter...what non-engineering standards are you talking about?
> What I
> specifically quoted as the formula for dynamic range is straight out of
> an
> engineering Bible for signal processing.  I've also been an engineer in
> this
> VERY field for more than 20 years, so I don't understand why you believe
> anything I've said is not in "adherence to ... non-engineering
> standards".
> In fact, the equation below is exactly the same as I've been saying all
> along, and meets with every aspect of what I've said.

I was going to say no more, but I can't let this one through.
Your diagram, as you have said, is taken from a document on DIGITAL signal
processing. It is only valid in the real (analogue) world when the A/D
step size is approximately the same as the noise level in the analogue
system.
My understanding is that the current performance of CCDs is better than
that.

Peter, Nr Clonakilty, Co Cork, Ireland