[filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range

You could help yourself by forgetting all about dynamic range, which is a
term pertinent to thos who manufacture and design CCD type devices.
If you are a photographer all that should concern you is density range,
because that is the range that carries visual information from the original
scene.

Also consider the simple fact that a CCD is not a digital device itself, all
it does is to take light at one side and generate electrical current at the
other. All the issues relating to CCD are actually analogue, the CCD is an
analogue recieving device and it's output in electrical terms is analogue.
Where many people get confused is because it is covered with tiny light
sensitive bits of matter which they translate as digital bits....forget all
that, only after the analogue signal; passes from the CCD out to AN Other
device (The so called analogue to digital converter) does the analogue image
signal become digitised and it is at that stage when the 8 bit, 10 bit, 12
bit decision becomes an issue.

What really matters, if you are after a very wide original density range, is
the actual range of light intensities that a CCD device will respond to
before it bleaches out in the highlights or noises out in the shadows.

All the advantages of high bit facilities are currently related to post
imaging manipulation using software like Photoshop, where the greater the
number of bits the more subtle and therefore photographic will be the image
edit possibilities.