From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Anthony Atkielski
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 8:16 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Color spaces for different purposes

Laurie writes:

> In practice, I do not think they are seperable
> so as to allow some other action to be carried
> out between the two processes, although it may be
> theoretically possible.

JPEG encoding requires the rough equivalent of a Fourier transformation on
the data; once that is undertaking, bitmapped operations on the image are no
longer possible.  So one cannot really separate them.  Not all encoding
formats impose this constraint, but I haven't heard of any software that
separates the two processes, just the same.