[filmscanners] Re: JPG sharpening [was: Color spaces for different purposes]

> I was thinking only of archived photos.  For Web and e-mail use, in most
> cases you can crank the compression all the way up in Photoshop (that is,
> set it down to 1, the highest compression setting) and the image will still
> look fine.  Unlike some editing programs, Photoshop won't let you compress
> the image so much that it really looks bad on the screen; even the worst
> setting is still pretty good.

Disagree. I can make some pretty horrendous looking JPEGs at the lowest setting.
Easy to see diff using Save For Web feature in PhotoShop.

> Additionally, with the lowest compression settings of Photoshop (level 10),
> I have yet to be able to distinguish between the original and the JPEG in
> terms of image detail, even when greatly magnifying the image.

Maybe not on monitor, but printing reveals the diff.

           Mac McDougald -- DOOGLE DIGITAL
  500 Prestwick Ridge Way # 39 - Knoxville, TN 37919
 doogle@doogle.com  865-540-1308  http://www.doogle.com