[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

> "Now lets take this scanner and give it an 8-bit CCD to start
> with. In a minute we'll give it a 14-bit CCD and see the difference."
>
> Wouldn't that be an 8- (or 14) bit A/D converter, rather than
> CCD? In other
> words, are not CCDs analog devices providing voltages that are
> converted to
> digital representation?
>
> Denis Hill, QPP

Hi Denis,

CCDs, in and of them selves, don't have anything to do with number of bits,
as they are analog devices, but their dynamic range does...  If the CCD has
a dynamic range of 5000:1, it will require a 13 bit A/D to be able to
extract the full dynamic range of the CCD.

Regards,

Austin