[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range - was: RE: opinions? Reviews? of Primefilm 1800 ?

Austin,

> That is correct....providing the system can actually take
> advantage of those
> bits.  If you have a 24 bit converter, and 12 bits of it is
> useless (noise),
> then what good are the 24 bits?

Yes, that is a given (I understand that and accept that as a limiting
condition).
As for the general points, I think that my understanding parallels what you
are saying for the most part, aside from my terminological mistatement where
I used "density range instead of "dynamic range" which you caught and
objected to.

In so far as my use of the two terms in the mistatement, "dynamic range" and
"density range" tend to be used in the literature and manufacturer's specs
synonymously as denoting the same thing (ie. the contrast range), I,
following their lead, slipped into using the two as identical terms in my
comments; but in doing so, I did no mean to suggest that bit depth was
connected to the contrast range as both "dynamic range" and "density range"
appear to make reference to in common marketing parlance of some
manufaqcturers and magazines.

Having said that,let me see if I got it by putting it into my own words.

 "Density range" refers to the "contrast range" from white point to black
point covered by the scanner and is measured in terms of 3.0 to 4.2 Dmax or
D ( it appears that in the current ads only Canon and Nikon are among the
few who refer to the guage as a measure of "dynamic range."  Whereas "bit
depth" refers the degree of quality information or detail that can be
obtained within the given "density range" and is measured in terms of 8, 12,
16, 24, 36, 48 bits or the like.  Thus, in your terms since most of the
literature does not use any term to describe what is being measured except
to refer to it as bit depth or x number of bits, bit depth measures the
"dynamic range" that a device can capture within its given "density range,"
as meeasured by the Dmax specification.

Is my understanding close enough for government work or do I need to go back
to the contemplation place and rethink it?

....Snip...