[filmscanners] RE: opinions? Reviews? of Primefilm 1800 ?

>Another misconception...though equally as common...the number of bits the
converter
>has, have nothing to do with the scanners ability to capture any particular
>density range.

Just out of curiousity and in simple layman's terms, what do the number of
bits that the converter has  have to do with if not the density range? How
does it impact on what is captured?

Austin, I am asking a serious question here out of my lack of knowledge and
sure would appreciate a good discussion in layman's terms so that I can
understand what is being said without having to hire an engineer to
interpret. It has always been my understanding, rightly or wrongly, that the
higher the number of bits the more detailed or refined the informational
date captured from the original that is transmitted as data in the digital
file with respect to highlight and/or shadow detail with the density range
figure represetning the range of contrast that can be captured.  In other
words, "dynamic range" representing the contrast range of the capture's
capabilities, while the bit depth represented the quality of the data
captured within that range particularly the extremes.  If this is wrong,
please explain where and how it is and provide me with a more accurrate
description (but once again, I urge you to try and do it in non-engineering
terms if possible).

> However, it is rated with 3.2 dynamic range, which is a bit low for a 14
> bit/channel.

Even though they may call it "dynamic range", it is DENSITY range.  Another
misconception...though equally as common...the number of bits the converter
has, have nothing to do with the scanners ability to capture any particular
density range.

Austin