[filmscanners] Epson Photo 2450 flatbed: Any updates or next gen. model anticipated?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Epson Photo 2450 flatbed: Any updates or next gen. model anticipated?
  • From: "Karasev, Alexander" <alexander.karasev@gs.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:33:21 -0400

I was wondering if an update or a successor model is anticipated (based on
any information from US or Japan, or merely the pattern / timing of
introduction of their consumer / prosumer photo scanners.

I think 2450 is a very good scanner, particularly for the price. However it
has a few flaws, one of which is, it is commonly considered to be
insufficiently sharp (optically) for its resolution. Some folks blame it on
the focusing point, others, assembly quality, others, the fundamental
limitations of the lens used.

Given the jump in capability that I think the 2450 represents from the
previous under-$500 scanners, and the success that it had brought Epson, I
would not be surprised if its successor sported an even higher resolution
and / or (more desirably) a dual-focal length, focusable, optics.

Alex