[filmscanners] RE: Which is better - Canon, Nikon,Minolta - Please advise...

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Which is better - Canon, Nikon,Minolta - Please advise...
  • From: "Douglas P. Rousso" <doug@rousso.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:43:12 -0700

Art,
I've notice that you are a very frequent contributor to the list.  Your
response on my "Which is Better" post is a bit perplexing given that you
seem to have every scanner made :-)  I've even seen some of your posts
regarding Minolta's that seem quite positive.

Is it your personal experience that the Minolta pokes you in both eyes?
Given my requirements of which 4000dpi is not one of them, I prefer
firewire over usb or SCSI, and ONLY scan 35mm color negatives, seems
that my choices are rather limited.  The Nikon LS40 (LS IV ED) which is
only USB and the LED configuration which has resulted in a requirement
for dICE to take care of the noise it creates, the Canon LS4000, again a
4000dpi USB device that requires FARE to get rid of the noise and whose
reputation for clear sharp scans and good color balance is very
questionable, or the Minolta Elite II which is Firewire and reviews
indicate one of the sharpest sub 4000dpi scanners around, and has
multisampling and dICE.

It seems every prosumer scanner creates steaks and noise, has color
balance problems, and in general has common and unique issues among the
whole family.  I'm just trying to make the best selection for my purpose
and minimize the pain post purchase.

All indicators are poking me in both eyes!  Minolta...

Can you please elaborate for me...

Thanks kindly...