[filmscanners] Re: Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal
  • From: "" <petru.lauric@rcn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:31:32 -0400

> I never really had the time to use it with other scanners, but there is
> no reason why it wouldn't be great with scanners like the Minoltas.  I
> will have to give it a go soon and report back.

I did some experiments in order to try to compare it with ICE and FARE. The
results I got so far are surprisingly good, esp on slide scans. The test images
I used are Nikon LS4000 and Canon FS4000 scans as well as a sample scan from my
SS4000.

I only had one problem scan (the "house" negative sample scan from
imaging-resource.com's LS4000 review). The sample looks like a pathological
case with hundreds of tiny bubbles in the emulsion. The ICEd version of the
scan is VERY clean and my PSD (polaroid scratch and dust) version came close
but was still inferior. For all other test samples I got perfectly clean
images, however.

Petru.

PS: I'm surprised to see very few messages on this thread about the actual PSD
results! Are you guys still experimenting?