[filmscanners] RE: Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal
  • From: "Kapetanakis, Constantine" <KAPETAC@polaroid.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:54:35 -0400

The light itself has nothing to do with sharpness. Sharpness is a fuction of
how good your focus is.
Think of it like this.
You have flash light and a flourescent tube.  Place an object in front of
the flashlight. You will see a very distinct shadow cast on the wall. If you
place the same object in front of the flourescent tube you will probably not
get a shadow and if you do it will not be as well defined. The CCD sensor of
the scanner is picking up the shadow of imperfections/dust on the film
surface. The harsher the light source the more distinct the shadow.