[filmscanners] Re: Levels Adjustment-Scanner or Photoshop

>Is there any benefit of adjusting levels, curves, color etc in the scanner
>software prior to the final scan as opposed to later on in Photoshop?  Does
>adjusting it before the final scan avoid the "comblike" effect on the
>image/histogram that you would get from making the adjustment in Photoshop
>after the final scan. or does it make no difference when these adjustments
>are made?

IMHO you have a higher chance to get the comb histogram if you scan in
8bit mode and make substantial
adjustments both in the scanning software and in Photoshop. Also, don't
forget that the scanning software
doesn't have adjustment layers so all your changes will be permanent and
will alter the information.
Personally I make some slight adjustments in SilverFast (usually to fix
the color cast) and do the rest of the
work  in PS on my 16bit scans.

Petru.