From: <HMSDOC@aol.com>
To: <dickbo@btopenworld.com>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 2:53 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Silverfast Color Management

In a message dated 5/16/2002 9:24:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
HMSDOC@aol.com
writes:

<< I had the thought that perhaps my difficulty with the Silverfast IT-8
 calibration might be the gamma setting.  I had set it to 2.2 since I am on
 PC and my Spyder/PhotoCal setting is 2.2

 Is this correct, is this setting to be the typical 2.2 that one would use
for
 a Windows PC or am I misunderstaniding that setting?

 Howard

Why is it that I feel like I am having a conversation with myself about
color
management in Silverfast.  Sure enough, I finally found the reference to
gamma gradation in the Silverfast manual (not the easiest instruction manual
in the world) and it refers to midtone gamma as opposed to monitor gamma.
It
says that correct setting is 1.8-2.0 for slides and 1.6-1.8 for
negatives...so it should not be set to monitor gamma (like you do in Filmget
gamma setting in the software).  So I will need to go back and recalibrate
using a different setting to see how it affects the calibrated scan.

Howard

or body