[filmscanners] Re: Real-World Scene Brightness Range

At 08:14 AM 5/14/2002 -0400, Daniel Merchant wrote:
>My point is that you need a good original, and the Zone system will help you
>get a good original.  I know how the films that I use perform, and how to
>determine if I can get the image or not.  All this talk about how contrasty
>light is in different parts of the country or T-shirts of varying shaded of
>gray in different lighting conditions does not help you get a better
>original image.

I respectfully beg to differ with you. It is obvious from the wealth of
information you have provided (edited out in this reply) that you have
given a great deal of thought to the range of brightness values in scenes
that you photograph and how to capture them on film to express your
artistic vision. From reading Ansel Adams' "The Negative," it is obvious
that he likewise considered very carefully the brightness range of
different types of scenes in developing the zone system; in fact, he
explicitly discusses different types of scenes and how to apply the zone
system to them. That being the case, it seems quite beneficial to consider
how contrasty light can be in different parts of the country, in order to
help other photographers to achieve the same degree of control over their
images; or at least, to get them thinking about the idea that such control
is possible. I agree that the zone system can help get a good original, but
if you don't know what the light values are in your scene, how could you
use the zone system?

Stan