[filmscanners] RE: 3 year wait

> Fair enough.  I still tend to believe there is more than 4000 dpi in
> medium to low speed films.  Or at least that there is more than the 4000
> dpi captured by prosumer scanners, which might not be a true 4000 dpi.
> Otherwise we wouldn't need drum scans anymore.
>
> Now, don't get me wrong, I think 4000 dpi scanners are great and have
> made it possible for professional scanning for the average guy.  But I
> suspect fine grain films can supply more than the 4000 dpi is capturing.

You and I are in full agreement on this, Arthur.  I scan 35mm at 5080, and
find I see more detail than my SS4k gave me, obviously, 4k, and as my Leaf
35 does (which is also a 4k scanner).  I also find 8k drum scans I've done
of particular film for clients has given me more detail than my 5080 scans.

Austin