[filmscanners] Re: 3 year wait

Austin writes:

> 10 stops is not hard at all to get in a
> single scene.

Examples?

I routinely scan slides in which there is at least some detail at every
point in the image, light and shadow (excluding specular highlights and
light sources)--often more than I realized was there.  Clearly, the scene
brightness did not span ten stops if I'm able to get anything other than
solid black in the shadows and solid white in the highlights.  My own
metering of the original scene supports this, with 6-7 stops being about the
largest spans I usually see.  Most shadows are lit at least a little bit
indirectly; most highlights are not as featurelessly bright as they might
appear at first glance.