[filmscanners] Re: 3 year wait

James Hamilton wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've been intending to buy a film scanner for 3 years now. I have a
> collection of 3500+ consumer grade negatives (Kodak, Fuji, 100 - 400) and
> this grows weekly. Should I buy a filmscanner now or should I wait even
> longer for a better iteration of technology :-(
>
> I want to scan the negatives once only as there are so many of them. So I
> have to get it right first time. I am scanning for archival purposes, that
> means getting every last bit of information out of the negatives.
>

> I don't want to scan everything and find that in fact a 5000 dpi 4.0
> scanner released later in the year resolves more detail in the film.
> Should I just buy a Nikon 4000 ED or a Polariod 4000+ now?

There is a 4800dpi  (4.2) 16 bit scanner on the market now.  That makes a 95MB
(8 bit) tiff
file from 35mm.  There is not much more to be had after that from 35mm film.

You may never buy a scanner if you want the best to be offered in the
developers dream
scanner.

What you have mentioned I would pick the Nikon in the fact that it has ICE
cubed. ICE, ROC
and GEM. which will become very useful tools  if you want to scan a large
numbers of
images.

Rob