[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan and multipass algorithm

Åke writes ...

> The output images seem to be calculated by averaging the value
> in each pixel. The result is a

  What do you mean ... "smooth noise level, but no real noise elimination."?
Averaging really should eliminate noise.  That is, averaging is a result of
"adding" and normalization ... i.e., adding noise to noise always tends
towards less noise ... unless it really isn't noise.  Are you sure it isn't
something ... e.g., film grain?

> So: It would be great to have the option in Vuescan to choose
> algorithm in multipass scans, between Average and Minimum.

  I wish Vs would simply "add" the scans ... e.g., 4 10bit scans becomes
12bits, ... 8 12bit scans becomes 16bits.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)