[filmscanners] RE: Lack of contrast in the (raw) scans from VueScan ?

Sassan writes ...

> I am saving B&W images as 16bit tiff gray scale.  Should these be
> saved as 48bit ?

  48bits implies color (3 16bit channels).  Save your b/w scans as 48bits
only if you want to artificially add color.

> Is there also a manual exposure control (similar to Analog Gain under
> NS ?)

  RGB exposure on the "device" tab.  Set it to 'manual'

> What is the auto-exposure algorithm being used and, other than
> the whitepoint/blackpoint selection which essentially clips/stretches
> the tonal range, how does one adjust ("center") the exposure to match
> the mid point of the density distribution of the film durin the scan ?

  I believe (without knowing exacty) Vuescan effectively and automatically
sets the exposure for the density of the film, and the histogram for the
"raw" scan is a direct result of the hardware (CCD).  Whether or not you
want the histogram stretched or shifted is done in software with the "color"
tab. Use it to your liking, or do the same thing in Photoshop.

  You can, however, obtain some interesting effects, if not obtain better
detail in the denser regions of the film, by increasing the exposure.
(note: I am speaking of using Vuescan with color negs, and assuming it works
the same.)

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com