[filmscanners] Re: OT: which wintel OS for digital imaging?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>

Dave writes:

>> On my laptop XP freezes occasionally (every
>> two days or so) even when I only have Outlook
>> express open ...

>Probably some hardware particularity.  Laptops have really weird hardware;
>it's the price you pay for them being compact.

It may be the Sony, it also has a "phone home" program running in the
background that can't be easily turned off, and I suspect it too.

>> ... it hangs sometimes when running Norton
>> defrag ...

>Why not just use the defragmentation utility that comes with XP?

I may uninstall everything in Norton Systemworks except VirusScan.

>> ... and things slow down and become less stable
>> too quickly after a thorough maintenance
>> routine.

>What do you mean by a "thorough maintenance routine"?  I don't do any
>maintenance on my machine.

I do Norton Win and Disk Doctor, then defrag.

>> I haven't had System Mechanic long, and I'm
>> hoping it will help resolve some of these issues
>> as I become familiar with it.

>Uh-oh ... what is System Mechanic?

Read about utilities including System Mechanic here:

http://www.geocities.com/dczurawski/ostweak.htm

and here:

http://www.wugnet.com/shareware/spow.asp?ID=255

>One of the cardinal rules of keeping a system stable and reliable is not to
>fix anything that isn't broken.

System Mechanic isn't the problem, I only got it a day or two ago, and I've
been having problems with XP for awhile now.  I agree, don't fix it if it
ain't broke, but XP on my laptop has been doggie so far.

Dave