[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS4000 Depth of field

Yes I agree with Arthur - good idea but it seems likely unfortunately that
this would add more problems than it resolved.

But it would be nice if Nikon had a user accessible simple hardware
adjustment to the long-ways scan tracking, so we could adjust to get rid of
the major long-axis misalignment.  At present when you send it in with a
clear long-ways misadjustment, they just stick their standard slide in, and
look at the result and if they don't see obvious fuzzy lines they say it is
"within spec".  No consideration of your measured data, no consideration of
the fact that their slide presumably sits quite differently from how your
negs and the FH-2 holder sit etc.

The ability in both Vuescan and Nikonscan to select your point of focus
does help a lot if you can be bothered checking focus at various points on
each neg, or assume that a certain point is a better compromise than the
centre of the image - which is probably true.

Julian