[filmscanners] RE: Lack of contrast in the (raw) scans from VueScan ?

Sassan writes ...

> I am using VueScan 7.5 (beta ?)

  Update your version of Vuescan.  Vs versions later than 7.5.14 are very
solid with all Nikons. <http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html> ...

> ... and NikonScan 3.1.0, and the "default"
> settings for VueScan generally produces images that are washed out and
> lack in contrast.  ...

  Keep in mind Vuescan tends to capture all information available in the
film, and  would therefor naturally yield an image rather flat.  Its default
setting for whitepoint is 1% and for blackpoint zero%.  These settings
assume 1% of the pixels are specular highlights, and then captures all pixel
values.  I happen to believe whitepoint should be less (~0.1%), but I
believe you'll notice a big difference if you set your Bp at some similar
value.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com