[filmscanners] Re: Polaroid SprintScan 120 Film Holders -- questions

Victor,

With regard to the 35mm carrier, I set the filmstrip in so that the spacings
are a little
ahead of the support bars.  There are "teeth" on the retaining frame that will
engage into
the perfs as you lower the retainer.  The slide the retainer into the locking
position,
slowly, until the spacings are aligned with the support bars.

It gets a bit confusing with the 120 carrier.  With Insight, you can select the
image format
on the Preview tab. Unfortunately, not all 120 format cameras index the film
consistently
nor accurately.  Insight does provide some overscanning to compensate for the
variances but,
if the camera indexing mechanism gets a little "gummy", the spacings may widen
beyond
Insight's margins.  At that point the camera, or back, may need maintenance.
The frame
spacing on my old Kowa Six's vary from about .125" to .212" and that is pretty
much within
the scan zone of Insight.  Just make sure the first frame is closely cropped to
the leading
edge of the carrier.  I haven't tried it but there is also an option to scan
the full strip.

In VueScan, you can adjust the frame pitch with the "Frame Spacing", on the
Device tab.  I
use the term "Frame Pitch" because this adjustment seems to be the distance
from the leading
edge of one frame to the leading edge of the next frame.  With my experience,
the dimensions
are assumed to be in centimeters. "Frame Offset" defines the lead position of
the frame. You
will have to play around with these setting to get what you need.  My best
results were
obtained with a "Frame Offset" setting of -.247 and a "Frame Spacing" of  6.25.
 These
setting may not work for you.

In SilverFast, there is a button on the image panel that is labeled "6.6".
this button
toggles the format between 6X6, 6X7, and 6X9.  There seems to be ample overscan
to cover
varying spacing.

Hope this is helpful,

Jim Sims