[filmscanners] RE: Scanning B & W

Hi Simon,

Why I ask, is because I was curious if the setpoints got set in the scanner,
even though you get raw scan data.  It could very well do that, and would be
a good option, in my opinion.

A few of the scanners I designed had analog setpoints, and adjusted the
output from the CCD so that the setpointed area matched the input voltage
range of the A/D, and therefore increased the tonal resolution within the
valid image space.  It doesn't mitigate the noise, but it brings the noise
into the digital domain, where it can be processed.

Regards,

Austin