[filmscanners] Epson Printing Post Scanning

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Epson Printing Post Scanning
  • From: "" <HMSDOC@aol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:22:26 EDT

I am quite new at scanning/digital imaging.  I am now to the point where I am
trying to learn the intricacies of getting a good Epson Inkjet Print using an
870 and a custom profile for Epson inks and papers.  First the scanning info
and then the question......

I am using a Canon FS4000 and VueScan with Photoshop 6.1.  I am scanning at
4000 ppi and using Vuescan to do 8x passes generally to keep noise to a
minimum and bring out good shadow detail......and the scans look good in
terms of image quality.

I have just started the printing process and despite the fact that I am
printing at 1440 and at highest pint quality the image output, while it looks
fairly good, still looks to my eye sort of 'inkjetty'.  When I look more
carefully....and I don't have too amny images just yet, but what I do have
looks 'photographic' in the sharp and in-focus areas but what I call more
'inkjetty' in the lighter and more out of focus areas.  I find it quite
distracting and detracting from the image.

Though I will also have a try at posting to the inkjet list, I am posting
here because I am somewhat suspect that the problem may not be the printer or
its settings.  I am suspicious that I may be seeing grain or 'dye pools'  or
whatever they should be called or perhaps grain aliasing.  How can I be sure.
 What are the characteristics of this and how can I alter it or see if it is
this or a limitation of my printer/expectations.  I notice that Viewscan has
a grain reduction filter...is this worthwhile to try or does it soften the
image to much.  What can be done inPhotoshop etc.....I guess the first step
is diagnosis.  Though I find it to be  more disturbing in the printed image,
when I go back and look at  the scan at 100% in PS I can see the grainy look
to areas of the picture and suspect this is what may be printing.

Any help or ways to differentiate the possiblities will be appreciated.

Howard
HMSDOC@aol.com