[filmscanners] Re: my XP laptop is driving me crazy

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: my XP laptop is driving me crazy
  • From: "Dave King" <kingphoto@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:21:04 -0400

An update on what I've learned about my laptop problem, thanks to Cary.

As you can see from Cary's email quoted below (for grins, check out the
paragraph starting with "This error"), apparently it's not a hardware issue,
but rather more likely application or OS related.  I can imagine it's
either, since PS6 is not "native" to XP, and I'm running upgrades 5.5 and 6
on top of v. 5.  Another potential problem is I may have procured XP at the
worst possible time, coming as it did on the heels of Microsoft's decision
to address the security issues, and I have downloaded/installed at least 10
patches.  In general I think XP's vaunted stability is BS given how much
crashing it's done on my laptop, and not just with PS.  I've since installed
Win 2000 on my PIII 500 Dell in a dual boot config, and vastly prefer it to
XP so far, so I may eventually dump XP on the laptop and put 2000 on it too.

If I do I'd like to network the two using firewire, or should I add an
Ethernet card to the desktop and use that?  I know nothing about
networking - any suggestions?

The LS-8000 scans much slower on the PIII 500 than on the Athalon 1.2, but
at least I can get back to work.

Dave