[filmscanners] Re: My Public Apology

On 4/19/02 5:58 AM, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:

>> A cheaper and maybe better alternative is just a
>> rubber ball syringe.
>
> I'd have to suck air into it, and the air would almost certainly contain
> dust.

In practice, I find that my Bausch & Lomb ear syringe works just fine for
blowing dust from film and optics.  Not quite as much force as the
compressed gas products, but usually enough to remove dust.  If, after using
the air bulb, there is still a bit of dirt adhering, I loosen it with a
clean camel's hair brush, and then blow it off.  For really dirty film,
PEC-12 emulsion cleaner works well.

I once ruined a $100 filter with one of those cans of compressed gas.  It
spewed gunk that I could not remove (and no, I did not shake it).  Never
again.

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>