From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Anthony Atkielski
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 5:57 PM
To: alexz@zoran.co.il
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Profiles

Alex writes:

> What is the meaning of ICC monitor profiling
> installed in Win98SE in terms of scanning
> visual quality ?

You only really need the profiling in Photoshop, if that's where you do your
photo work.  Getting it to work with the rest of the system isn't that
important.

> What does that mean and how it could influence
> image rendition upon scanning ?

sRGB is a very restricted color space.  It guarantees that images will look
visually pleasant on most monitors, even cheap ones, but it also sacrifices
a lot of color gamut to achieve that.  I use Adobe 1998 for my work--it's a
good compromise between the very restrictive sRGB, which excludes too much
range, and something like Wide Gamut RGB, which covers everything but can't
be accurately displayed or printed by anything.

> The friend of mine has recommended to scan in
> Adobe RGB color space (since it is further
> processed in Photoshop) and then to convert those
> pictures intended to be shared via either email
> or internet to sRGB to unify the appearance.

You can skip the conversion.  Almost no one has calibrated systems that can
actually read and use color profiles, anyway.  There's no way to control how
an image will look on someone else's monitor.

> Does it have something to do with monitor
> profiling/color temperature adjustments ?

A color space defines the limits (called the "gamut") of the colors that can
be accurately represented digitally.  Some color spaces allow for
representation of just about everything the eye can see; the only problem
with this is that no display or print device currently available can even
approach such a large gamut, so anything printed in such a color space looks
flat and lacking in contrast and saturation.  Other color spaces, such as
sRGB, are very restrictive and contain far fewer colors than those visible
to the human eye, but they do match display and print devices quite well,
even the cheap ones, and so they produce images that are more visually
pleasing on these devices.