[filmscanners] Re: LS2000 Shadow Detail problem

Hi Jerry--

o Welcome to the list.

o I use a Nikon LS4000ED on a Mac with NikonScan 3.2.

o I spent about a month trying to get as much as possible off my
Kodachromes, and found that for best shadow detail I scan with Nikon
color management OFF, then afterwards apply a custom profile I made
using ICC Scan from profile.city.com and a Kodachrome IT8 target.

o I also bump up the analog gain controls as needed to insure that
the histogram extends (almost) all the way to the right.

o I have found the above to give the best dynamic range and color fidelity.

o I have also found that for Kodachromes sometimes multisampling  of
8x (and maybe 16x) actually does help with shadow noise.

o However, no matter what, the Nikon scanner is incapable of "seeing"
detail in the deepest shadows of Kodachrome, so there will be times
when you can see detail on a light table with a loupe that the Nikon
is simply incapable of seeing (even with the analog gain turned up
all the way).

Good luck,

--Bill