[filmscanners] HP 6200C Flatbed Scanner

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] HP 6200C Flatbed Scanner
  • From: "" <HMSDOC@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:36:45 EDT

I have an HP 6200C Flatbed scanner.  I could never get it to work properly
under Windows ME despite having the Windows ME drivers downladed from the HP
website.  My system now operates with Windows XP.  Still can't get the
scanner to stop crashing with the HP drivers, but it works perfectly with the
prefab Microsoft drivers enclosed within XP, albeit with less of the options
that the HP drivers had (which themselves left something to be desired).

I have a few questions about the scanner:

1) Despite multiple cleanings....water, Windex, dilute vinegar...the glass
looks clean but when the scanner light goes on you can clearly see white haze
still remeaning on the underside of the glass.  How can one get rid of this?
Does it effect scan quality or is it so out of focus being on the underside
that it makes no difference (this seems to be what the going line from HP
is)?

2)  How does the quality (if it is to be used for scanning and repairing old
prints and not to scan film) compare with that of other scanners out there
today.  Are the improvements in  most prosumer flatbeds aimed at attempting
to scan film or are there real benefits to be had for scanning prints as
well.  The scanner can operate at 600dpi real resolution...don't know any of
the other specs.

Howard
HMSDOC@aol.com