[filmscanners] RE: Tiresome Arguments Ad Infinitum

Todd,

>On another list, in a thread similar to this one, (fed up with the
>esoterica), the complainer facetiously suggested someone start a list
called
>"The Noise", where all these less-than-everyday-useful discussions can air
>freely, (and I would add, without the well intentioned but curmudgeonly
>hatchet of impatience coming down upon it).

Without attempting or intending to belabor this tread, I would only note
with respect to the above that even, if such a list were established, some
wag would get on it and register the exact same complaints.

>Why so many lists want to rehash the same old newbie
> questions over and over

Maybe - just maybe - because lists like this gets a continual flow of
newbies - many of whom (a) do not know what took place previously, (b) who
do not know where to find or how to find archives, and (c) who are too lazy
to do any searching or research, too much in need of an immediate everday
recipe on how to solve their problem, or too self absorbed in their own
needs that they forget that what they are asking or saying is not new in the
instutional history or memory of the list.