[filmscanners] Profiles

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Profiles
  • From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:21:58 +0200

Just acquired new monitor which turned to be Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454.
The driver is to be downloaded from their URL which I did yesterday.
It includes ICC profiles for various models including this one.
I did the installation of the driver as instructions recommend and it seems
to install this ICC profile for my display.
Frankly, I'm quite a novice in this field so it confused me a bit.
What is the meaning of ICC monitor profiling installed in Win98SE in terms
of scanning visual quality ?
BTW, the monitor allows Color Temperature setting and his default is set to
9300 K. I've heard that it would be better to set it to 6500 K to achieve
truer color rendition for scanned images.
Would be grateful for clarification of this issue.

Also, the monitor claims ability to set it to predefined sRGB mode which
features 6500K automatically (besides of other features inherent to sRGB
space). What does that mean and how it could influence image rendition upon
scanning ?

The friend of mine has recommended to scan in Adobe RGB color space
(since it is further processed in Photoshop) and then to convert those
pictures intended to be shared via either email or internet to sRGB to unify
the appearance.
Does it have something to do with monitor profiling/color temperature
adjustments ?

Regards,
Alex Z