[filmscanners] RE: Scanning negs vs. slides

Thanks Anthony. Nce shoots indeed.
Well, in fact, I have certain experience in night picture-taking since this
is my beloved theme for several years so far.
For such kind of photography I always use tripod of course since long
exposures are inevitable, but used to shoot on Sensia II 100 being quite
satisfied with the results this film delivers.
Generally, I cannot complain about his scanning abilities, although
sometimes those details in dark areas barely visible in light table under
loupe are blocked completely after scanning.
Applying excessive Master analog gain of my IV ED sometimes reveals those
details but of course on expense of highlights which became burnt out in
this case.
I just thought perhaps using negatives would produce somewhat better results
for scanning due to wider dynamic range of the negative, although I realize
that I may lose those subtle tone variations the slides is able to
reproduce.
Another trick suggested by our fellow Listeners is to se Photoshop abilities
by combining two layers each one scanned with shadows and highlights in mind
(applying - and + analog gain respectively and then
overlapping the layers somehow).
At this point I cannot boast by huge knowledge of Photoshop processing, so
will have to take the steep learning curve of this great tool...

Regards,
Alex Z