[filmscanners] Re: Some findings/thoughts on the Sprintscan120 (comments verywelcome please)

I did not try Silverfast, although Vuescan did produce some better results.
I take your point about the Flextight, although I always get slides in
strips and mount them myself when I have selected the keepers.  There is a
strip Flex holder that allows up to four to be scanned at once, you need to
turn the strip around to do the last two frames of a six frame strip.  There
is also a three frame 6X6 holder (actually it is a 6X18 holder).

Obviously scanning a back catalog of mounted slides would be a headache.

I will try scanning the Portra as a RAW file and see if that makes a
difference.  To be honest, it amazes me that a £30 piece of software such as
Vuescan can produce a scan in TIFF format that is vastly superior to
Insight.  I guess Insight just got the profile wrong, but as I said, Vuescan
produces superior scans on Provia, Scala and Delta.

As part of this workflow I am looking to minimise the Photoshop manipulation
time required, and Insight doesn't look like it will allow that.  I will
download the Silverfast demo and try that too.  I do not want to open the
Silverfast Ai supplied with the scanner in case they will not take it back
should I return it.

Thanks for your reply.

Simon