[filmscanners] Re: Re:GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN:NikonLS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

Julian writes:

> My LS-4000 sounds like a meat grinder chewing
> on a tin can.  At first I thought something was
> horribly wrong with it, but others claim this
> is normal.

All the Nikon scanners seem to make a wide variety of bizarre sounds.

> As others have noted, NS frequently chops off
> shadow detail - you can see this as abrupt cuts on
> the left side of the histograms.

How do you know that this is not clear film (for negatives) or maximum
density (for transparencies)?

I have found with the LS-8000ED that shadows that appear to be completely
black actually _do_ have quite a bit of detail hidden within them, if I
lighten them up enough.