[filmscanners] Re: SS 120 questions for current users

The short answer is you will have to some basic tweaking in Photoshop if you
use Insight 5.5 with the most recent transparency profile.  It comes in with
accurate color, but a little flat.  Many chromes you don't want an exact
color reproduction anyway, considering film's color distortions of lens
output.  Hey it's film you're looking at, not lens output:)  But in my
experience the colors are true to the chrome at Insight's no adjustment
settings, and I would think you could save a standard tone curve for
production work.

Color negs are an entirely different story.  Insight hypes colors, and
crossovers abound.  Vuescan is considerably better, but I find I often still
have to work with relatively minor crossovers quite a bit in Photoshop to
get a great final.  But since it doesn't start out hyped it's at least
possible to get there.  The little bit I've worked with Insight for negs my
impression was "impossible".  For production work with color negs you'd be
better off with Nikonscan or the Imacon software.  (Haven't used the Imacon
software, going by what I've heard.)

My .02

Dave