From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
To: <mlidaka@ameritech.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 7:39 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Fuji Superia in Vuescan

Hi all.
I became proud owner of Nikon IV ED a few weeks ago and gained some
measurable scanning experience with this fine instrument.
Generally, quite satisfied results, although sometimes in really dense
slides the dark details are blocked completely (well those areas are indeed
almost black, although under loupe some fine details can be resolved).

I downloaded the trial version of Vuescan to give it a try and was
disappointed by the terrible results scanning negatives (Fuji Superia 400).
I know the Vuescan is distinguished by negative film profiles for many
common emulsion existing on the market, but unfortunately
no Superia's 400 profile is available. Perhaps that was the reason for
inability to get acceptable results from this film, although I tried almost
all ISO 400 profiles available - nothing helped.
On the other hand NikonScan (ver. 3.1.2) gives very good results even from
such complex emulsion as Superia (due to additional layer) from the first
time without any fiddling with settings. That was really impressive, given
the fact that they have no special profiles per negative film.

Is something wrong in my Vuescan processing of Superia or this is
unfortunately the reality of Vuescan not being able to handle Sueria
emulsion ?

Regards,
Alex Z

or body