[filmscanners] Re: X rays was Digital PIC

johnhayward@hopcoinvst.com wrote:

> Though OT - a very valuable discussion.
>
> Does anyone know if the lead lined bags sold to carry film through
> carry-on X-Rays really help or do they only have a placebo (sic) effect?
>
> If they really were to shield film from X-Rays, wouldn't the objects
> inside be invisible and hence raise suspicion?
>
> John

They should, but recent testing of security personnel habits have shown
many "recognize" the film bags and let them through.  You are right,
they cannot be seen through if they are working.  I have seen single,
double and triple lined bags, each supposedly a response to new higher
X-ray levels and faster films.

What is worse, if the film bag is used, it can obscure whatever is over
or under it, so they really have a poor view.

Art