[filmscanners] RE: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED and sharpness/focus

> > I know you pre-qualified this with Nikon/HP,
> > BUT...that statement is not true.  All COLOR
> > CCD scanners are inherently at least a bit
> > soft, I agree with....but a grayscale CCD
> > scanner is not soft at all, at least mine isn't ...
>
> What kind of scanner is it?  I didn't know CCD scanners were made for
> grayscale alone;

I didn't say that my scanner (which is a Leafscan 45) was made for grayscale
alone, though there are grayscale only scanner too.  My scanner also scans
color.  It is a four channel scanner, red, green, blue and neutral density.
It scans grayscale with a neutral density filter only.

> what sorts of applications is such a scanner
> intended for?

Film scanning, just like any other high end CCD film scanner.

> I guess if I shot nothing but Tech Pan it would be nice to have
> (but I think
> Tech Pan would still challenge a scanner severely).

If you shoot any B&W, and want exceptional scans, then it IS nice to have.

Austin