[filmscanners] Re: Re:Digital PIC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>

> Should we then abandon film and go back to glass plates???

Film NEEDS to be flexible, at least for 35mm and MF, as it rolls up.  It is
also held flat (as can be) with a pressure plate.  A CCD does NOT need, or
want to be, flexible in this application.

Again, my question is why would one want a flexible CCD in this application?

Regards,

Austin

Ah, yes.. Why indeed?

Maybe you stumbled upon the answer in your statement above:
>A CCD does NOT need, or want to be, flexible in this application.<

Maybe it really WANTS  to be flexible...

I know, it sounds far out, but sometimes, there are more between heaven and
earth...
And, apart from that, I haven't got the faintest idea... Not a clue!

And yet, let's see, perhaps the answer is staring us in the face.

 It all started with Art saying:

>The next thing I'd like to see, if that is the case, is a digital camera
>that can be updated with a higher res CCD/MOS or whatever, so the whole
camera
>doesn't become obsolete so quickly.
Then I wrote:

A couple of  years ago I bought a few shares in Scitex Inc. after I learned
that they had patented a superthin, flexible CCD, I believe it had 3 or 6
megapixels. I had visions (in ungarded moments) of a high density 5GB mini
harddisk, in the shape a 35mm film casette with a thin, flexible, 24x36 mm,
high resolution CCD sticking out of it. Just dump it into your normal camera
and shoot away or change back to film if you prefered that or ran out of
storage space....

P.S. I sold the shares with a loss not too long ago...:-)

Preben

---------

To which you quasi retorted:

Why on EARTH would you want a flexible CCD for use in a camera of the type
you are talking about?

Austin
--------

I answered (retreatingly):

I quote >they had patented a superthin, flexible CCD< unquote.

Because that is what they had invented and patented.

But as far as I'm concerned, it might as well have been superthin and
stiff...

However, I'm sure that you agree that a certain degree of flexibility can
sometimes be useful... :-)

Preben

-

Then you rightfully stated:

Not in a CCD that has to maintain coplainarity to a very small tolerance due
to very limited depth of focus!

Austin

--

I consequently suggested:

Should we then abandon film and go back to glass plates??? Or perhaps all
use the Contax III, which vacuum'ed the film to the pressure plate.

Anyway, I imagine that it would be quite a bit stiffer than film and held
firmly in place by the cameras pressure plate a.o.
But that is just my imagination as I have never seen the CCD itself or the
physical specs.

Preben
--
Which brings us back to your question:

>Again, my question is why would one want a flexible CCD in this
application?<

Ah, yes.....why indeed..? Answers on a open postcard, please...:-)

Preben