[filmscanners] Re: Yahoo Automatic Spam Generator

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:54:11 -0500   (rpkphoto@earthlink.net) wrote:

> I've just learned this from another list and I encourage everyone to
> pass
> this on to any other Yahoo Groups they belong to. Yahoo has changed
> everyone's "marketing preferences" to "yes" so everyone will get loads
> of "offers." I just checked mine and it was true.
>
> To undo this, go to the main YahooGroups page and click on "Account
> Info" at the top right.
>
> When your account comes up (you will probably have to enter
> your password again), scroll down to the e-mail addresses portion and
> click on "Edit Your Marketing Preferences" where you will probably
> find a check in the `Yes' column by each and every thing.
>
> Then go to the bottom of the page and make sure you uncheck the places
> where you give them permission to mail stuff or call you (unless you
> want them to, of course). Make your changes and click on "Save Changes."
>
> Hopefully this will help cut down on the amount of spam people get
> and more importantly, help keep people from quitting our group.

Just to clarify : this list is *not* run by Yahoo groups nor any other
'free' provider. It currently runs off a box on my darkroom floor, formerly
via a commercial hosting co.

However this sort of nonsense illustrates *exactly* why I do it this way,
not via Yahoo, Smartgroups, Topica etc - all of whom are inclined to revise
T&C's to their advantage whenever they feel they can get away with it. I
hate spam with a passion. Out of 70+ over this weekend are several from
Yahoo. Bastards.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info