[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

I wrote:

> >> Like Art I am a fan of ICE but it does definitely soften the image.

Moreno replied:

> That's been improved upon considerably on the newer generation of scanners.
> There is no softening with ICE on the 8000.

But the Elite II, which does cause softening, IS one of the newer generation of
scanners.
>From memory, it was introduced after the LS-40, LS-4000 and LS-8000.  Your
>experience
(and David Soderman's comments) seems to suggest that ICE does not perform the
same on
all scanners.

If David is scanning negatives, that may be relevant as well.  Another thing I
noticed with the
Elite II is that ICE works much better on slides than on negatives.  This is
definately a Minolta
software issue: if you scan the negative as slide and then use Vuescan or
Photoshop to invert
the image etc, ICE then works as well as on slides.  I don't scan many
negatives but when I do
my workflow is always to do a 16 bit raw positive scan with the Minolta
software and then
process the file with Vuescan.

Al Bond