[filmscanners] Minolta Scan Multi II

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Minolta Scan Multi II
  • From: "" <ferko@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:02:39 -0500

Hi Folks..
recently I posted a question regarding the term "Dynamic Range" -- what
it means in the context of film
scanners?  How is this derived -- is it based on the gray-scale
histogram?  Is it used consistently from one
manufacturer to an other.

A connected question is that I am about to step up to a Minolta Scan
Multi II that I found locally as almost
new.  My "desktop" is an IBM ThinkPad notebook (W98SE, 104MB mem,
6.4+3.2GB HDs, XGA) -- and have
been using an Adaptec APA-1460 PCMCIA SCSI Host Adapter for connecting
to my 2.2GB floppy drive and
then to my HP SJ6300 flatbed scanner; this setup has run flawlessly for
me after a few startup glitches.
Since the Multi II has SCSI IN and OUT ports I plan to insert it between
the above mentioned devices (since
my SJ6300 is a terminated unit).  I have downloaded VueScan -- very
impressed with my early experience --
and plan to buy license to use with the Multi II.

Does anybody in this community run a film scanner in the manner I
propose above?  Has anybody
experience with running this scanner series from the above cited SCSI
adapter?  Minolta, while polite would
not answer my questions since they could not find the 1460 adapter under
the Multi II heading -- though it is
listed for another of their scanners.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Frank K-F/26mr02