[filmscanners] Re: Image Quality

Philip Elkin wrote:

> Could I be so bold as to ask for some replies to the following?
>
> What do you report as the highest quality '4000' scanner regarding Dmax +
> Resolution

I'm assuming you are speaking of 35mm versions.  If that is the case, I
would say the Polaroid SS4000+.

> What do you regard as the highest quality '4000' scanner regarding batch
> scanning and image restoration ie scratch and dust removal?

The Nikon 4000ED, since I think it is the only one right now that does
both.  I'm not sure the Canon FS4000 has a bulk slide adapter for 35mm
slides/film, and the Polaroid doesn't yet have a real DDSG (dust, dirt,
scratch, grain) removal system, other than the one incorporated in
Insight, which is usable but not much more than a filter.

The new software apparently will address DDSG removal and color enhancement.

> Is there a scanner that balances the above two requirements in one product?

IMHO, no.  The main problem being the lack of depth of field with the
Nikon 4000ED, and nearly a requirement to use the DDSG system to clean
images due to aggravated DDSG due to the light source.

If either Polaroid had the DDSG software fully implemented, and a bulk
loader or Nikon dealt with the two issues above, THAT would be the
"best" one.  As it is now, you have to decide which system is more
likely to serve you best in the work flow you use.

The path to the perfect scanner is wrought with perils, it would seem. ;-)

One other issue which you did not express, but which I think is darn
important.  Go through the archives, and count how many people
complained about Nikon software, hardware or service and response versus
Polaroid.  Look to see which company addressed the issues or addressed
them the quickest, in spite of the fact that unlike Nikon, Polaroid also
went through a financial restructuring during the period.

Art