From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
To: <krille@tin.it>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 4:34 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

Hi Dave, I can't resist commenting on your statements about Digital ICE. I
frequently see images that have surface defects, even when it is "reasonably
well stored and cared for". Many times the film has factory defects (bubbles
and scratches), scratches from "quality" cameras, and "don't get me started
:)" on dust. I love oil emersion, but it is so time consuming, you really
have to have an important image to justify its use.

Also preparing an image for scanning, doing the aggressive cleaning and
handling necessary, can shorten the life of the image. Using Digital ICE is
simple. I use air to quickly clean most of the dust and I scan. Done.

As far as Kodachrome is concerned, I rarely have problems scanning it with
the newest versions of the scanners. When there is a problem there is a
simple work around I've outlined in previous posts. You are mostly right
about B&W. Simply, Digital ICE doesn't work on silver based B&W, it does
work on chromagenic B&W.

Obviously, the fact that I work for Applied Science Fiction biases my
comments. However, if I were to leave ASF today, I wouldn't consider a
scanner that didn't have Digital ICE. Not just infrared detection, but
Digital ICE, there is a difference.

Good luck with your scanning!

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction