[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk schrieb:

> After problems with 2 separate Minolta Elite IIs (which I won't bother
> repeating in this post), I'm contemplating jumping ship and going for
> either for a Nikon LS-40 or a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 (some dealers
> here in the UK are still advertising it).  In my price range, these seem to
> be the best 2 scanners.

[...]

> Has anyone had direct experience
> of both these scanners, preferably on dense slides like Kodachrome?

Hi, Al,

having gone through the same trouble with two defective Elite II units
and now using the LS-40, I can only state that I have yet to meet a
slide with shadows the LS-40 cannon penetrate. Using Vuescan, I always,
literally always get a histogram that provides me with some "space" at
both ends, meaning neither highlights nor shadows will lose significant
detail (JFTP, I use Fuji Superia 100 for negs and Kodak Elitechrome 100
for slides).

If you like, send me a dense slide to scan, and I'll send it back with
the scan (raw or processed). E-mail me directly for mailing address
info.

See ya -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers