[filmscanners] Re: Focus problem on Minolta Scan Multi Pro

On 17/3/02 1:09 pm, "M. Denis Hill" <denis@area360.com> wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I don't think you're doing anything wrong, though I don't find manual
> focusing onerous. I certainly would discuss the problem with Minolta
> support. They should be able to isolate it and, if necessary, swap your
> scanner for one without the problem. It does not seem to be one of those
> incurable issues, rather a faulty unit that slipped through QC. I've closely
> monitored all discussions on the Multi Pro for several months and have not
> heard of this before. In contrast, it is pretty well documented that the
> LS8000 has a depth-of-field issue with curled film. That's one reason I
> cancelled after waiting seven months for one and went with the Minolta (and
> I've used Nikon cameras and lenses for 33 years). I've done fewer than 20
> scans on my Multi Pro, but I think it's a keeper.

Denis

OK, I found the manual on the CD.  I decided to start right from scratch so
I set the optics back to the locked position (Ctl+shift+L), put in the
screw, shutdown and restarted as if installing for the first time.

I have now got the scanner to focus on 6X6 film but I have another problem.
The image is distorted.  The sides have been cropped and the rest of the
image has stretched to fill the dimension of the neg.  So from one problem
to another.

To try and resolve that problem I reset everything again and locked the
optics.  When I restarted the image scanned with no distortion but now the
focus is wrong again.

I think this is a faulty unit and I am not sure, if this is the quality from
Minolta, that I want to swap for another unit.  I had a Coolscan LS30 for
four years and never had a problem at all.

Well, thanks for all your help Denis.  I think I will give up now and decide
whether to spring for the LS8000 or try another Scan Multi Pro.

Regards.

Simon